#MeatFree – Bangers and Mash
Bangers and Mash (v)
Bangers are the perfect accompaniment to any cold night, and these vegan versions will warm you up. We’re paired them with a low carb mash and vegan gravy for a warming meal, perfect if you’re heading out.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 55 minutes
For the sausages:
3 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Medium Leek, rinsed and finely sliced
100g Mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme, chopped
1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper, to taste
200g Ground Almonds
For the gravy:
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, sliced
3 Vegetable Stock Cubes
700ml Boiling Water
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme
2 Garlic Cloves. crushed
1 tsp. Marmite
For the mash:
1 Large Cauliflower, cut into florets
100ml Coconut Cream
4 tbsp. Olive Oil
4 tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
Salt & Pepper, to taste
200g Green Beans, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan (390°F/350°F fan) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Start preparing the sausages by heating 1 tbsp. olive oil in a pan and gently sautéing the leek and mushrooms until soft and almost all the water from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add the leeks, mushrooms, tofu, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper to a food processor and blitz until you have a smooth paste.
- Place the paste and the ground almonds into a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Take about 3 tbsp. of the mixture and roll it into a sausage shape on the worktop with your hands, then place on the baking tray. Repeat until you have used up all the mixture.
- Brush the sausages with the remaining olive oil and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst the sausages are in the oven, start making the gravy by heating the olive oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and cook gently until browned and softened.
- Make the stock up using the stock cubes and boiling water, then add to the onions along with the bay leaf, thyme and garlic.
- Bring to the boil, stir in the marmite, and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Make sure to remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Whilst the gravy is simmering, make the cauliflower mash by boiling the cauliflower in a large pan for 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and add the coconut cream, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mash together until you reach the desired consistency, then stir through the nutritional yeast.
- Boil the green beans in a pan for 4-6 minutes.
- Serve the sausages with the mash, green beans and gravy.
Nutritional Information per serving
Calories 832 kcal | Carbohydrates 24g | Total Fat 68g | Protein 25g
Macronutrient ratios per serving
Carbohydrates 12% | Total Fat 76% | Protein 12% |
If you’re interested in more recipes personalised to your dietary preferences, structured education and support, why not sign up for our Low Carb Program and join over 370,000 people working to improve their health and wellbeing?